Job Type: Exempt
Compensation Description: Salaried
Reports to: Associate Director
The Economic Development Officer will coordinate and oversee the economic development of the Metro West Service Area. This may include facilitation of federal grants, business expansion and retention, loan assistance, and land disposition.
- Oversees the Small Business Program and staff.
- Oversees the Arts & Civic Education Program and staff.
- Conducts performance evaluations that are timely and constructive.
- Handles discipline and termination of employees as needed and in accordance with company policy.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Establishes, develops, and maintains effective working relationships with departmental staff, municipal employees, local business owners, and the public.
- Coordinates and manages community impact projects with developers.
- Prepares and reports progress on projects, monitoring until complete.
- Evaluates projects that are grant-eligible according to applicable regulations and criteria.
- Completes grant applications.
- Maintains a list of local businesses for communication and marketing efforts.
- Collaborates with business owners and prepares periodic reports concerning businesses.
- Evaluates and monitors planned disposition of land owned by the community/city.
- Conducts special research and/or analyzes economic development program activities.
- Develop and implement retail-marketing strategies for Metro West’s unique retail district.
- Submit timely and accurate Community Development Block Grant reports to the City of Cleveland.
- Performs other duties as required or assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EDUCATIONAL REQUIREMENTS
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Bachelor’s degree in Urban Studies, Planning, Economics, or similar field required. Master’s degree preferred.
- Familiarity with business development, financing, and marketing. Familiarity with real estate development.
- Three years of experience in fundraising for a nonprofit organization highly preferred.
- Bilingual preferred. (Spanish, English)
REQUIRED SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES
The specific personal traits required to accomplish the essential duties of this job successfully include:
- Excellent verbal, and written communication skills.
- Must have the ability to deal with public and private officials and negotiate complex transactions.
- Working understanding of blueprints, codes, statistics, technical sketches, and graphics.
- Thorough understanding of program research, development, and implementation techniques.
- Thorough understanding of agencies and programs related to federal economic and urban development.
- Basic understanding of agency goals, objectives, programs, and services.
- Basic understanding of community resources and development needs.
- Thorough understanding of economic development principles and practices.
- Ability to gather, collate, and analyze a variety of data.
- Must be proficient in spreadsheet analysis (Microsoft Excel) and proficient in word processing (Microsoft Word). Knowledge of Microsoft Access and Microsoft Publisher preferred.
PHYSICAL AND TRAVEL REQUIREMENTS
- Frequent local travel required.
- Prolonged periods of sitting at a desk and working on a computer.
- Must be able to lift-up to 20 pounds at times.
Please send Resume and Cover Letter to Kristyn Zollos at firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note: This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change, or new ones may be assigned at any time with or without notice.
METRO WEST COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: METRO WEST COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at METRO WEST COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. METRO WEST COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. METRO WEST COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT encourages applicants of all ages.